Monday, October 24, 2005

Just Little Ole Me

I spoke to Sprout for a good long time Saturday morning. We both needed it. Since there is a 14 hour time difference between us, his days are our nights and our days are his nights. Trying to catch him or us at a good time is just a little difficult. But waking up at 4:30 am on a Saturday just to talk with my son was worth it. Only a mother or a lover would understand. He has spent the last month working on a helicopter, helping to take it completely apart down to the frame and put it back together again. When he tells me the work is sometimes "a little hard", I have to wonder if he even realizes that his very first experience of a mechanical nature is being spent working on the most sophisticated mechanical vehicle in the world? Youth is so glorious. I was the same way when I was his age and took a job as a public safety dispatcher. For ten years, my daily job involved life and death situations that I was a part of. If I forgot to do something or did something wrong, it was quite possible that somebody might die. But I never thought of it like that. It was just a job like everybody elses. It wasn't until I left that job and took a more settled, regular-houred office position in which my work involved paying bills and shuffling papers, none of which had any connection to anyone dying, that I realized what a great opportunity that first job was for me and how it made everything after it so much easier. I hope it will be the same for Sprout.

And he says, no, don't send Spam for Christmas. Send iPod. Dang it!