Monday, October 11, 2004

An Uplifting Word

I found this poem and it fits this blog. Kind of reminds me of a drill sergeant. Right now I don't like drill sergeants very much but, hey, they must have the hardest job in the world. Anybody that can take a group of mostly men and bring them under complete control in a matter of weeks deserves my praise. Here's to them.



I'D RATHER SEE A SERMON
by Edgar A. Guest
I'd rather see a sermon
Than hear one any day.
I'd rather one should walk with me
Than merely show the way.
The eye's a better pupil
And more willing than the ear.
Fine counsel is confusing
But example's always clear.
And best of all the preachers
Are the men who live their creeds
For to see good put in action
Is what everybody needs.
I soon can learn to do it
If you'll let me see it done.
I can see your hands in action
But your tongue too fast may run.
And the lecture you deliver
May be very fine and true
But I'd rather get my lesson
By observing what you do.
For I may misunderstand you
And the high advice you give
But there's no misunderstanding
How you act and how you live.

No comments: