Monday, March 27, 2006

I Gotta Stop Surfing

I just did a google search with the words "son in Iraq" just looking for blogs. I came across this story. Wow! I'm not sure if I would thank my kid or want to kill him if he called me from a war zone with gunfire and shouting going on in the background to tell me that he might not make it out alive and he loves me. I want to say "that poor, poor woman" but I guess knowing that your child's last thoughts when he is faced with impending death are of his loved ones is a gift...a hard gift...but a gift nonetheless. Luckily, this mother also heard the roar as air support arrived and her son and his friends were saved. Patton (or whoever said it) was right...war IS hell.

1 comment:

Some Soldier's Mom said...

There are some things I just would not want to know... and that would be one of them. It was hard enough when they called to say our son was wounded and "they'd call us again as soon as they knew anything". They called 4 days later and they didn't know sh**t (fortunately, a nurse got our son a phone and he called 10 hours after the Army's first call). I know in my heart that our son would be thinking of us in his darkest hour, I just would not want to HEAR it. Now I'm gonna have nightmares!