Monday, February 11, 2008

Awake in Iraq

I spoke to my soldier son last night...he was just a wee bit wired. He said he had just come off of a weird shift which had him working five different shifts in five days and his sleep-cycle was so messed up that he decided to make himself stay awake for most of his rare two days off. He had not slept in 30 hours and was keeping himself awake with energy drinks...he didn't want fall sleep for another 7 hours so that when he did sleep, he would be good and rested for his new schedule. From the speed at which he was talking, I'm thinking he's gonna be awake for a few more days.

I sure hope he was able to sleep when he finally wanted to sleep. I know these guys fear falling asleep on the job more than anything because it can not only endanger them, but even worse, it can endanger their buddies. Not to mention the fact that they can get into really big trouble if the brass catches them snoozing. On top of everything else a soldier must worry about while fighting a war, sleep or the lack thereof, should be the least of their troubles.

ArmyWifeToddlerMom has a post about her daughter waking up in the mornings bright-eyed and bushy-tailed with the "birdies" and it reminded me of a song my Mom used to sing to me and my brothers and sisters in the mornings when we were growing up. I sang it to both my boys when they were growing up. Hopefully, Sprout will sleep so well that he will need me to sing this song to him one more time:

The birds are up.
The bees are up.
The flowers are up.
The trees are up.
Why aren't you up?


Here's to a good night's sleep and a gentle rising...at war.

No comments: