Monday, February 14, 2005

Becoming a Proud Soldier

Well, Sprout is starting to sound more and more like a soldier each time I talk to him. He is finally getting over the "I'm so lonesome I could cry" phone calls and actually sounded excited this weekend. He knows what he wants to do, how he wants to do it and why he wants to do it. Not bad for a young whipper-snapper who 18 months ago was planning a life-long career as a pizza delivery man.

He also had his first "thanks for serving" moment last weekend. He was at a convenience store in civilian clothes and the cashier asked if he was a soldier from the nearby base (I'm guessing it was the haircut that gave him away but I'm hoping it was his straight back and firm stance). He said "yes" and she thanked him for his service, then the guy in line behind him thanked him too. He said it was kind of nice. He is really beginning to sound proud of himself.

No comments: