Thursday, June 26, 2008

MY OLD JOB

I just had to steal another sister poem...only this one is not from my usual poet sister. This one is from ANOTHER sister who, apparently, has a writing gene too.

She wrote this one after sitting outside enjoying the summer breeze and a cigarette to calm her nerves while on a break from her usual 12-hour shift as an Emergency Medical Dispatcher. She had just been standing by on the phone with a man who was having a heart attack and listening in as the paramedics worked on the man who was more concerned about leaving his dog alone than he was about his failing heart.


MY OLD JOB

On a day like to today, I wish I had my old job back.

The job I had when I was seven years old.

My office was at Hannon Park.

My morning commute consisted of heading down Semmes Avenue, crossing Dauphin Street, then cutting through the synagogue parking lot and the only road hazards or detours were my bare-feet dodging the blacktop for the cool grass on the shoulder of the road.

I wish my wardrobe consisted of nothing but a bathing suit
with a towel draped around my shoulders and uncombed hair.

I wish my biggest health concern today were watching out
for stickers in the grass as I walk across the park to the wading pool.

I wish my power-lunch for today was a Fudgesicle bought
from the ice cream truck and water sipped from a concrete water fountain.

I wish my biggest disappointment today was that Mrs. Brooks
(the park lady) had already handed the “Candy-Land” game
out to some other kid.

I wish my goal for today was to be able to hold my breath
under water longer than the other kids.

The only committee I wish to be on today is the one whose project
is to make a giant whirlpool by swimming around and around
and around and around the pool with a bunch of other kids.

The only dare I really want to take is how high I can go on the swings
or if I can open my eyes under water.

The only workout I want to do is pushing the seesaw
off the ground on my end and having my best friend return the favor.

The only worldly possession I would care to have today is my own pair of goggles.

The only fortune I’d care to amass would be the coins we tossed
on the bottom of the pool and found over and over again.

I wish my commute home today consisted of walking home with sunburned shoulders and cheeks and the feel of a wet towel draped around my neck.

On a day like today I wish I were heading home,
hungry and exhausted with a hot meal waiting
and a free pass on the bath tonight.

I wish I could fall asleep to the hum of an attic fan
and dream of doing it all over again tomorrow.

No comments: